Saturday, March 5, 2011

Brennan Chapt. 1

In the first Chapter of Teresa Brennan’s, The Transmission of Affect, she begins to explain this idea that feelings and emotions can be outside of an individual person.  She describes this occurrence as an “atmosphere” in which the environment literally gets into the individual.
This idea of the transmission of affect is supposedly a new concept, yet we use this idea in the form of idioms all the time.  The popular 1990’s phrase, “the roof is on fire,” describes a type of atmosphere one feels when the emotions within a room or at a particular setting that is electric.  This idea of fire symbolizes fun energy that cannot be pinned onto one person, but the gathering as a whole.
Another example is whenever people say that they can “feel the tension in the room.”  Clearly, nobody has to announce to everyone present, “There is now tension in the room,” it’s something that everyone can sense.  This type of tension maybe what sparks riots at soccer games that result in violence or broad scale stampedes.  It seems that the emotions of the players can somehow spread throughout the spectators that can cause much of an uproar.
I personally have experienced this sensation or transmission of affect.  There have been times I was extremely sad or depressed.  During these times my friends would scoop me up and take me out to eat.  While at the restaurant, I may not partake in any of the conversation, laugh at any jokes, or stuff my face with food, but at the end of the night I tend to feel better.  It’s something about being around happy people that took a toll on me and my disposition.
I look forward to seeing what else Brennan has to say.

3 comments:

  1. Trevence, I am glad you're posting these blogs on Brennan because you're forcing me to go back and review the book... I can also understand what Brennan is saying when she says, "All this means, indeed the transmission of affect means, that we are not self-contained in terms of our energies." (p.6) This makes me think of Caesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) who doesn't necessarily train dogs, but their owners. The first lesson he offers is that they must maintain a calm controlled energy otherwise the dog will not respond to them. I think that is also true with people. I definitely pick up 'vibes' from people, and I definitely think I put out energy--it seems every time I pick up a baby it starts crying. I've never been comfortable around babies-- maybe they pick up on this... One never knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzi,

    That is so funny! I've never thought about the correlation of what Brennan says and the Dog Whisperer. Thanks for pointing that out. It's a unique way of looking at it. I think the baby situation is more of a situational thing. You probably just pick the babies up when they're in a vulnerable state. I think your energy is pretty positive, so keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently experienced a "transmission of affect" moment. I felt a mild sense of satisfaction after Bin Laden died-- nothing too extreme though. However, after President Obama's speech, the news organizations began to show people partying in Wasington D.C. and in New York City. The morning after I began looking at pictures of rallies and parties. I began to feel an overwhelming sense of excitement just seeing the joy of other people. Granted, this transmission was not transmitted through smell like Brennan talks about. Nevertheless, a transmission occurred that. The emotions were not originally my own but "given to me" through the pictures and video footage of other people.

    ReplyDelete